Tuesday, July 27, 2010

When Do You Make The Big Bucks?

Since the official release date of my book on July 6, the number one question I have been asked is,
"When do you make the big bucks?"

In answer to that question, I was always taught that it wasn't polite to ask a person how much money they make.  Other questions I am continually asked to answer after a book-signing event are:
  1. Did you make a lot of money?
  2. How many books did you sell?
  3. Do you get paid to be a guest speaker?
  4. You have to pay for your own books?
  5. Since I've been your friend/family for "x" amount of years aren't you going to give me a book for free?
 I prayed over these questions all week long and decided to respond in a way that may step on a few toes but after all is said and done, I am just the messenger.

Money cannot buy loving relationships or peace of conscience.  It can support a Christian college, send a missionary to Africa and help fill a food pantry.

 It is not money that is "a root of all kinds of evil," but the love of money (1Timothy 6:10).  Jesus condemns money when it becomes an object of devotion equal to God (Matthew 6:24).

 God is the ultimate supplier of all wealth.  He enables us to have it and has a right to say what we do with the money.  The questions I would love to hear are:
  1. What is your book about?
  2. Was your story God inspired?
  3. What is your ministry?
  4. What is it like being an author?
  5. You can fill in the blank with your own question... _________________________?
When God asks you to step out in faith and gives you a passion, which in return creates an income, I promise not to ask you, "When do you make the big bucks?"

No comments:

Post a Comment